Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Freezing Rain - 1/2 Day Off School

I think getting a half day off school is much like kissing your sister but what the heck, I’ll take it. You gotta love Southern Ontario this time of year for the sudden snow storms off the lake and the occasional freezing rain episode. Last year we were lucky enough to get 6 snow days off school. This year, what with that damn global warming, it looks like we will get one or two at the most. Why can’t we learn to control global warming so that it only occurs in the summer months and during holidays like Christmas and March break - now that would be progress.

Anyway - not much to say this week so far. Same old , same old - except for the upcoming parent/teacher interviews scheduled for Thursday - which I dread as much as any student. Though they will likely drag on until 10 pm or so, I do have the day off Friday as the kids go skiing again so I can’t complain too much. After all - I have yet to put in a full 5 days per week at the school so far this year. Do you ever wonder why teachers bitch - I do. Wonder that is. I mean it’s the best job in the world, with great holidays and benefits. What is there is complain about? Unlike myself, I think most teachers go from teachers college right into teaching and don’t really understand how damn difficult, depressing and frustrating it can be to have a real job. Teachers should only be allowed to teach after spending several years in the real world of business & commerce - then they would just shut up and enjoy the experience. But then again - we wouldn’t be Canadian if we didn’t bitch about something and feel superior to (and at the same time jealous of) Americans.

No comments: