Friday, February 24, 2006

Do Blacks Blog?

All day today I was thinking about the comments of Bryant Gumball (see previous blog) and it got me to thinking about other areas where there is a PAUCITY of blacks. It is true what Bryant said - there are not many blacks in the winter Olympics, and being Canadian I know there are only a handful of blacks who play hockey. I suspect it has a lot to do with the cold weather.

I must admit that living in Canada, and specifically not Toronto, the number of black people I know is few. In fact, the only regular black person I come into contact with is my boss who was born in Africa and I know he doesn't particularly enjoy the cold weather. In fact there are many "Canadian" things he does not enjoy such as camping, canoeing, and complaining about the weather. In a recent conversation we had, he stated that he never understood the white persons desire to just complain about something for the sake of complaining especially over things that can't be changed. Being African gives him a unique perspective on things. I mean seriously - complaining about the weather is our national past time. That and wondering why we can't win every hockey game. Neither one can we do anything about.

But I digress - similar to NASCAR it would seem that blogging is not a 'black' thing, at least from my own observations. Every day I click on the little button in the right hand corner of the blog page and make it a point to visit at least ten new blog sites. In thinking about it, I can't remember a single one of these blogs having been written by a black person - not that the colour of the author is obvious in a lot of cases. I may be wrong so please feel free to enlighten me but I get the feeling that Black People Do Not Blog - which makes sense considering most blogs are just people complaining about things they can't change.

By the way - to answer your question Trekreb - this is the state of my baby for 6 months of the year.

No comments: