Sunday, March 26, 2006

Photogenic Females

Just wanted to pick up on a thought I had while writing the blog for the Weekly Cartel meeting this week. That being, why do so many women hate having their picture taken. In almost all cases they will offer up an excuse as to why you shouldn’t take their picture. Excuses such as; please I’m not very photogenic, or my hair’s a mess today, or whatever. (Actually I just realized I don’t listen to their excuses because I couldn’t remember anymore when I tried to write this yet I know I have heard several more.)

The denial of having their picture taken leads to an interesting conclusion. By refusing the picture, that person is saying that it is OK for you (the picture taker and everyone else who sees them) to be subjected to their hideous looks in person but they themselves don’t want a record of their hideousness just in case they are forced to look at it. Basically they are saying that they are too good to gaze upon grotesqueness but it is fine for them to subject you to their grotesqueness.

But more to the point - why is it women who mainly do this. Why are women so lacking in confidence when it comes to their looks. A guy can be 50 pounds overweight, have a beer gut that would make most pregnant women jealous, and have more hair on his back than on his head - and this guy will still believe that he is the sexiest thing to walk the face of the earth. Women - not so much so. Why? I’m really interested to know the answer - and don’t give me that "it’s society" crap since more than 50% of society is comprised of women.

2 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

How to say this and make sense, we are all vain creatures, male and female...I know men who do not like their photo taken, I have had a camera wrenched from my hand before....as to myself personally, most of the time, I have a self image of what I look like, I remember realizing this one day, when I saw my mother reflected in a shop window...only to realize it was ME! I was that middle-aged lady...a photograph is a permanent reflection...we see the reality..not our minds image....sometimes that can be good, if one looks better than the image in their mind, other times, it is a reminder of time marching on...even though in our minds we may still feel 25. Beauty is idealized, it is hard not to make a self comparison to that idealized version. Most of us do not measure up to the airbrushed version of the modern Barbie doll. Maybe that is it, maybe not...all I know is that there way too many teen-age girls who can only find fault with themselves, and it seems the more beautiful they are, the more faults they find. Good question, and one difficult to answer, I am the parent a young woman who loves to have her picture taken, and a young man who hates his taken.....so is there a gender difference..or is it personality?

chelsea said...

HEY you have SEVERAL of the worst pictures of me EVER. And have I complained? Do I jump behind things? NO! I am like FUCK YOU GUYS...TAKE A PICTURE OF MEEEEEEEEEEE
And that you do.
That picture of Jovan and I after the canoe races in Haliburton is a prime example. And yet, one of my favourite pictures ever. You should send it to me, pleaseeeee?