Sunday, March 05, 2006

Moments in Time

Moments. I believe that at least once in their life everyone has experienced that moment. That moment where life seems to come to a stand still - no it’s more than that - it’s that moment when the many paths of life seem to briefly merge and momentarily come into focus. You know the moment won’t last. You know you can’t hold onto it for long. You know a decision, a choice, has to be made. It is as if you have slowly, often unwittingly, approached the edge of a cliff and before you awaits an incredibly beautiful, eternally large chasm. Time seems to stand still, yet you know in your heart that you can not stay there - you must decide. Do you step into the void or back away from the edge?

For most of my life I have chosen to back away from the edge, probably a combination of the fear of the unknown coupled with the comfort of the path well worn. However, as I step back from the edge, there comes the knowledge that I will never have that moment back and immediately regret my decision to retreat. I still think of those moments and wonder - what if?

There have, however, been a few moments in my life when I have ignored the fear and have stepped forward - stepped into the unknown. I also remember these moments as they have always lived up to their expectation and have brought great change and turmoil to my life.

The initial euphoria of having stepped forward is brief and is almost always replaced by pain, angst and tears during the free fall to the bottom of the chasm. I will not lie, the time spent in free-fall was horrible.



But I also remember these moments as they have brought wonderful change to my life. In the end I can say I have no regrets for having stepped forward, for having stepped off the edge. The only moments which still haunt me are those from which I stepped back - the what ifs?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How very uncanny - I was thinking the exact same thing this afternoon.

Sunny Delight said...

I so much want to step into the void, I think I am tired of backing away. "If only", are very sad words to me. I think we need those moments, I am so tired of only having regrets at not taking those steps.

Photos are beautiful by the way.