Tuesday, August 14, 2007

80 Days of Summer for Bob - Day #61

Tuesday - a day of dread - off to see my doctor. It has been 4 years since my last visit.



It was to be a simple visit - all he had to do was to give me a prescription for high blood pressure. Instead I got a lecture on my lifestyle, pressured to wear a 24 hour blood pressure monitor (which I ultimately refused), another lecture on how Canadians believe health care is free - it's not - apparently you have to work on your health, you can't just take pills to make you better.

I left with the pills but I now have to get blood work done tomorrow - fasting for 14 hours beforehand, and I have to see him again in 2 weeks and then again in 5 weeks. Damn right health care is not free - what a price to pay - two more days of my life.

I left the doctor feeling as if I were a student in one of my math classes. The lecture was more or less the same - your results are directly proportional to the effort you put in, blah, blah, blah. I now have a better appreciation for the misery I put my students through. Why can't there be a pill for math? Life would be so much simpler.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh....maturity...you realize that he is lecturing to you like a teacher to a student, but you are still thinking like a teacher. The student would look serious, nod approvingly, and then do whatever they wanted. You actually realize the consequences Bobby. Finally, Grasshopper, you are (sort-of) post adolescent.

Houseboat Bob said...

Accccttttuuuuaaaalllllllly Anonymous - I just need to go through the motions so he will continue to give me the drugs. Again, much like math class - nod approvingly and do the minimum to stay in the game.