Wednesday, June 28, 2006

The Canoe Trip - Days 4 & 5

The fourth day started off a wee bit late and lazy. Floating down the lake at 1.9 km/hr while trying to ease my aching muscles back into paddling form after training them to carry a canoe the day before.


The fourth day consisted mainly of what is loosely described on the map as 'river' travel. As you can see this has to be the world's smallest river.


It was also filled with a number of obstacles such as this beaver dam which had to be carefully negotiated to avoid tipping over and smelling of swamp for the remainder of the trip.



Finally after several hours of following this meandering river I came to the second of the two portages, a beautiful little waterfall. An ideal spot for a late afternoon snack - call it lunch.

















After lunch and several more hours, I came to the last site on this trip. Tucking the canoe into the natural harbour, I immediately set about relaxing from what turned out to be a long day. Sitting on the rock, having a cigar and talking to my buddy - froggie.

















Froggie was not much of a conversationalist but after 4 days without talking to anyone it was amazing how much we had to discuss. Froggie even proposed a theory about lesbian canoeists always choosing yellow canoes, a theory which I am currently trying to validate. While I enjoyed a cigar, froggie snacked on a couple of spiders that happened to crawl by.

Later, as the sun set, I lit the last fire of this trip and decided to abandon the 'first star' rule and pour myself a wee one. After all it was a north facing site and the first star didn't come out until after 10 pm.






















The last day was pretty boring - three portages and finally home - here is a picture of the last portage. Ahhhh - memories. Just like this blog - the trip was over - much too soon.

1 comment:

Sunny Delight said...

What beautiful scenery, and love love the frog! I may steal that photo and use it on my monitor screen.