Friday, April 14, 2006

One Full Moon To Go

As I look at the full moon tonight I can't help wishing I was on the houseboat. This weekend I am off to the marina for the annual ritual of scraping, painting and repairing the pontoons. It is an ugly job but one which must be done if I am to avoid a repeat of last year. Last spring I took the lazy approach and did not attend to the annual ritual. On the first trip out I found myself in the middle of the lake at midnight in a boat that was slowly sinking. The boat, at great expense and inconvenience, had to be pulled out of the water and I had to spend two solid weeks of prime summer time on repairs.

This year I am hopeful that my preventative measures this weekend will pay off with a trouble free summer of sailing - so to speak. A summer filled with memorable lake adventures beginning with the annual howling at the moon. As I look at the calendar it appears that the first howl is destined to be on June 11th.

1 comment:

Sunny Delight said...

Do a really good job! Wouldn't want you sinking in mid-howl! But gotta ask how do you howl with a cigar sticking out of your mouth?