Sunday, June 22, 2008

The First Trip

On Thursday morning I left for my first solo canoe trip of the year. Forecasts of rain and cold weather could not deter my desire to get away for a few days. You might well ask, why does a man who lives alone feel the need to get away? I have asked that same question of myself and after three days of talking to no one but myself, I have the answer. But first some pictures.

One answer might be - I went away to try out my new canoeing gear. Here is a pic of my new, rain-proof tent. It was put to the test this trip as it rained every day. I must say I was pleased to wake up each morning in a dry sleeping bag. I love my new tent!


The first night was overcast and I was barely able to see the full moon as it peaked out of the clouds for a brief second. I was in bed shortly afterwards as I intended to be up early.






The next day I was off again - ok not so early - and it rained for most of the 5 hour journey. Despite the rain it was wonderful to be canoeing alone in the wilderness. Here is a pic I took while waiting out the heaviest of the downpours.

By the time I arrived at my second destination the skies had cleared and it was time to build a shore fire. As you can see, despite the wet wood, it doesn't take long to go from humble beginnings to a roaring fire.












Part of the answer to my question can be seen in these next two photos. This is why I go canoeing - to be able to better appreciate the beauty of nature and my role within it. It is difficult to describe the pleasure from sitting for hours with nothing to do but watch the world go from a sunlit wonder to a moonlit night scape.


The third day - the return trip - started out under sunny skies and then deteriorated into a full blown thunderstorm by the time I was halfway home. There is a certain fascination with mother nature while canoeing across a lake in the middle of a lightning storm. Scary for sure but nonetheless truly fascinating.

In the end I found the answer to my question of why does a man who lives alone find the need to go on a solo canoe trip into the wilderness. The answer, as is usually the case, is very simple. When you first arrive at a site there are a series of tasks which must be accomplished. The tent has to go up, lines for the food pack must be strung and then dinner has to be prepared. This gives me a sense of purpose. That done, there is nothing to do but build a fire, sit back and watch. This is the key - there is NOTHING TO DO! No bills to pay, phone messages to get back to, emails to write, no thoughts of what has to be done tomorrow. At home there is always something that you could or should be doing. In the wilderness by yourself there is NOTHING TO DO but sit and watch the world around you. That is the heart of true peacefulness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely ... but it's always nice to have you back home.
Can't wait 'till I get back to the forest ... it'll be soon ... I can't wait much longer.

Welcome Home
LED