Monday, August 14, 2006

The Football Game

The Great Canadian Football Rivalry .... or .... how to waste 5 hours of my life cheering for the stupid Hamilton TigerCats.

So for lack of anything better to do I was off to the Hamilton / Toronto football game on Saturday at Ivor Wynne stadium in Hamilton. I'm a traditionalist when it comes to football and I prefer to watch the game outdoors as it was meant to be played. Hamilton's Ivor Wynne stadium is as good as venue as you can get and it was with great anticipation that I left my home on Saturday. The game promised to be a close one - after all we are talking about two teams who are close to each other in the standings - each has had two wins so far this season while Hamilton has 6 loses compared to Toronto's five. OK - I didn't expect it to be a great game but for once maybe Hamilton could beat the crap (or at least win) out of their arch rival, Toronto.

I guess I should have expected the worse when, during the pregame warmup the coach of Toronto (Michael "Pinball" Clemons) walked by and stopped to talk to someone near me on the sidelines and I reached over, said hi and shook his hand. I should have known better than to tempt fate but hey, we are talking about a local legend here. Needless to say it was the highlight of the evening.

Hamilton played so poorly that we left before the fourth quarter was done (the score was 20 to 2). Unfortunately for us 90% of the crowd also left at the same time and it was a bit of a zoo getting home. Ah well - maybe next year!

2 comments:

Sunny Delight said...

I know exactly what you mean, sports are meant to be watched live, televised just somehow rarely do it for me...thus my absolute total lack of sports team knowledge...too bad the game was so awful you had to leave early...guess it is my endless hope for things to change, I rarely leave early.

Houseboat Bob said...

Trekreb - you bragging? We are halfway through the season. Our finals are played in November and sometimes in outdoor stadiums in the snow - that my friend is the way football should be played.